Borno Gov vows Safe Return of 48 Abducted Students

Borno State Governor, Prof Babagana Zulum, has assured residents of Mussa community in Askira-Uba Local Government Area, where terrorists abducted 48 schoolchildren, that efforts are being intensified to secure their safe release.

The governor gave the assurance on Tuesday during a visit to Uba town to commiserate with parents of the abducted schoolchildren.

Addressing the gathering, Zulum expressed sympathy to the emir, parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of the Uba Emirate over the incident.

“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident.

So This Happened (EP 397) reviews: Makinde declares 2027 ambition

0:02 / 1:01

“Let me assure you that the Federal Government, under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces, and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” he said.

The governor commended the military and other security agencies for their proactive response aimed at preventing further deterioration of the security situation in the area.

He disclosed that the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer, and other heads of security agencies had been deployed to strengthen security and facilitate the safe return of the abducted children.

Zulum also pledged to reinforce security in Askira-Uba and adjoining communities to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents.

“We have made frantic efforts to stabilise Askira-Uba and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he said.

He appealed to the abductors to release the children, noting that they were minors who required parental care and protection.

The governor further called on residents of the Uba Emirate and Borno State to intensify prayers, especially during the first 10 days of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah.

Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II, disclosed that the incident occurred on Friday, 15 May, when 48 persons were abducted in Mussa community, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students, and five other residents.

The monarch commended Zulum for his commitment to addressing insecurity, fostering unity, and supporting the emirate.

Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr Chinapi Amanja,       appreciated the governor’s visit and acknowledged the deployment of senior military officers and other security personnel to the area.

Punch/ Samuel Olokoba

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *