Tyson Fury has fired another shot at Anthony Joshua ahead of their long-awaited heavyweight showdown, claiming he will stop his fellow Briton because “he does not have any chin”.
The two former world champions finally agreed terms last month to settle one of British boxing’s biggest rivalries, with the fight expected to take place in either October or November. Wembley Stadium is emerging as the likely venue.
Speaking to FurociTV, Fury said Joshua would not cope with the pressure or power he plans to bring into the ring.
“I’ll knock him out for sure. He will not be able to survive against me. He does not have any chin, and I will bang him on it because I am quicker than him and I am a better boxer,” Fury said.
Fury also pointed to Daniel Dubois and his recent fights as proof that Joshua’s punch resistance is weaker than many believe. According to Fury, Joshua was the only fighter among Dubois’ recent opponents to be dropped repeatedly.
“Daniel Dubois’ last five fights have been Usyk, ‘Big Baby’ Miller, Hrgovic, Joshua and Wardley. And out of all of those five men, he banged all of them on the jaw each time. And the only sucker to go down five times or even once was Joshua,” Fury said.
“He hit Usyk with everything right on the jaw, did not go over. Wardley the same. ‘Big Baby’ Miller was under total pressure the whole time. Did not go down once, and so did Hrgovic. The only one who got knocked out and knocked down five times was Joshua. So I will put him back in where he should be. Bambi on ice.”
Fury returned to action in April after reversing his retirement decision and cruised to a points win over Arslanbek Makhmudov at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. He then called out Joshua in front of the crowd while his rival watched from ringside.
Joshua, meanwhile, still has business to handle before the Fury fight becomes official. The former heavyweight champion is due to face Kristian Prenga in Riyadh on July 25 in what is expected to be his final warm-up bout.
It will be Joshua’s first appearance since his stoppage win over Jake Paul in December. Promoter Eddie Hearn has already warned against underestimating Prenga, admitting Joshua still needs to process recent events in his career before delivering his best performances again.
Prenga has also dismissed suggestions that the Fury fight is already guaranteed.
“Everybody is talking about Joshua versus Fury as if this fight is just a formality, which is a very dangerous mindset in heavyweight boxing. One punch changes everything in this division,” Prenga said.
“I am not showing up for a payday or a photo-op, I am coming to win the fight. A victory changes everything: financially, professionally, and historically.”
NaijaNews / Tunmise Adesanmi